Big change of plans

I wasn't expecting to make another update today, but I got a call from Dr. Marshall here in town late this afternoon. He did finally speak with Dr. O'Hara today, and is now convinced that we should deliver in KC. Children's Mercy has an ECMO machine, while Wichita does not. There is a chance that Kristen would need this machine (which is comparable to a heart/lung bypass machine, only for newborns), and KC is the closest location.

They have an appointment set up for us for first thing Monday (yes, just 5 days away) to see another specialist at St. Luke's. There is a possibility that I might have to stay there until the baby arrives. Our heads are still swimming with all of this...just this morning, we were leaning toward delivering in Great Bend!

This may be God's answer to what we should do. It may all be the result of doctors being overly cautious. As Will put it today, it would be better to be where we have all we need and not need it, than to be where we don't and find we should have done something else. We have about a day to make a final decision about whether to go to KC Monday or not. Please pray for wisdom for us, for discernment and for peace in getting all the arrangements made, if necessary. Thanks so much!

God will work out the details

I saw my doctor here in Great Bend this morning. Kristen is doing well and does have her head down. (Yesterday, she seemed to be doing the hokey pokey...I was afraid she had "turned herself around"!)

We've still not heard from Dr. O'Hara's office in Wichita (neither has my doctor here). I have a call in to our pediatrician to visit with her about the level of care the nursery at the hospital here can provide. As long as that conversation goes well, I think we'll be delivering here in town. We do still have the option to deliver in Wichita, but logistically, it would probably create more stress than it would relieve.

Dr. Marshall is not in favor of inducing (unless absolutely medically necessary) at all, and they won't induce in Wichita until I get to 39 weeks. Based on my history, I probably won't make it to 39 weeks. Given that, we could either move to Wichita in another week or so and hang out there until I go into labor, or we could just make the trip once I do go into labor. Frankly, neither of those options sounds very appealing.

The mass measured about 2cm today, and most likely won't get any smaller before delivery. The fact that it hasn't grown since the original measurement (regardless of whether it has shrunk some or not) is a good sign. We continue to pray for no respiratory distress at birth!

I'm beginning to feel some peace about the whole situation...I've struggled over these last few days with handing everything over to God. I know in my heart He'll work out all the details, it's just working it all out in my head that's been the problem. I've needed a plan, and I think one is beginning to come together. Please pray that we are able to discern God's plans from our own and that Kristen's birth is the miraculous event it is supposed to be (with no extra drama!). Thanks so much for your support...we're almost there!

Frustrating day redeemed!

I'm almost hesitant to write anything about our visit to Wichita yesterday. There was no bad news about Kristen, just a lot of frustration!

After waiting at the doctor's office for an hour and fifteen minutes, we finally got in for the sonogram. Everything looked good as far as we know. Tara said the mass seemed to be about the same size, though Kristen is bigger (over 6 pounds!). Because she is growing, and the way she was positioned, it was difficult to zero in on the mass.

Once the sonogram was over, Tara said we were done. I asked about seeing Dr. O'Hara and was told that our appointment was only for a sonogram. Will had words with the staff while I went to the bathroom and shed a few tears of frustration (having a full bladder for nearly two hours by this point was NOT fun). We didn't get in for the sonogram until 12:15, and the doctor left at 11:30. We had no idea we weren't going to get to see her...that was the whole point of our going! I had asked specifically when I got the reminder call if Dr. O'Hara was going to be in. I didn't want to see another fill-in doctor. I was told she would be there...but not that I wouldn't get to see her.

After lunch, I called Dr. Marshall's office in Great Bend and talked with Debbie (the sonographer). She said that they would call Dr. O'Hara Monday and get back with me. Dr. Marshall is planning on me delivering in Great Bend, but he's never dealt with a CCAM. I'm not trying to second guess him, but I really needed to hear Dr. O'Hara's opinion on the situation.

This baby could in all likelihood be here in a couple of weeks, and I still don't have a good feeling about where we're delivering. Great Bend would be much more convenient, but I don't know if it's best for Kristen. I know Wichita would have the facilities/equipment, but I have no doctor there (Dr. O'Hara doesn't deliver babies). ARRRGGHHH!

Thanks to some wonderful friends, however, the day was redeemed with great fellowship. We spent the evening with the Stephensons and the Haydens and witnessed yet again how much God loves and cares for us. He brought them all into our lives years ago and continues to bless us through them.

We'll find out more on Monday or Tuesday and go from there. In the meantime, we'll do our best to put our trust where it belongs. Thank you all for your continued prayers!

No change

I saw my doctor here in Great Bend this afternoon, and nothing's really changed. They did a biophysical profile on Kristen (checking movement, etc.) and she scored 8 out of 8. She's definitely growing!

My doctor here thinks that returning to the specialist in Wichita will be a waste of time and money, but Will and I aren't so sure. There's an obvious difference of opinion about the size of the CCAM between the two offices, and it's difficult to put more stock in the opinion of the doctor who's never seen a CCAM before than in the one who's seen many. At this point, we're still planning to go back to Wichita on the 24th to see Dr. O'Hara (who will definitely be there this time!). We'll see what she thinks and then decide what to do about where to deliver. Please join us in praying that the decision will be clear to us.

I did find out what happened to the films that were supposed to be in Wichita at our last visit there. They were there, but apparently things get a little chaotic when a visiting specialist comes to fill in. Due to the cost of bringing him in, they fill the schedule completely full. The films may have been misplaced at the Wichita office, or everyone was just too busy to look in the right place...I don't know. I do know, however, they made it there.

Regardless, Kristen seems to be doing well at this point and may not require surgery right after birth. Evaluation of the lung would have to be done after her arrival to determine when surgery would be necessary.

Her head is down and her rump is front and just off-center to the right most of the time. Not the most comfortable position...for me anyway! Between that and fighting sinus issues, I haven't been sleeping well at night. Will and the girls have been great about helping out though. I don't know what I'd do without my amazing family and friends!

For the time being, no news is good news, I guess. I'll keep the site updated as we find out more. God bless you all!

Wichita doctor visit

Well, our Wichita appointment was yesterday. Dr. O'Hara was at a conference and had a Dr. Farb filling in for her. He told us the sonogram showed that the mass hadn't changed in size from when we were there 6 weeks ago. I questioned him about what the sonograms from Great Bend showed (that the mass had shrunk a couple of weeks ago) and he said he only had what the Wichita office did 6 weeks ago and yesterday. He checked and apparently the films never made it to Wichita as I was assured just last Monday that they would. We're a little frustrated!

There really wasn't any bad news, we're just not where we thought we were. The cysts that were in the mass 6 weeks ago are gone, and though the size of the CCAM hasn't changed, the size of Kristen has. Since she has grown and the CCAM hasn't, the right lung has more room and is developing (though not as much as we were told here). The fact that the CCAM hasn't grown is very good. And Dr. Farb does believe that indications show the CCAM is resolving.

They scheduled another appointment for us in Wichita in 3 weeks. I pray that Dr. O'Hara will be there then! (I'm sure Dr. Farb is a very good doctor, but I sure missed Dr. O'Hara's wonderful way of explaining things.) Dr. Farb didn't think surgery would be required right away for Kristen, should the mass still be there, but he still thought we should deliver in Wichita. We'll know more after the next appointment on April 24.

Thanks to you all for your continued prayers!